31.8.09

Castanets – Texas Rose, The Thaw, and The Beasts (2009)



I have watched the changing entity of “Castanets music” happen for a while now. There were the noise-scorchin’ feedback sessions and there was corpse-y folk and sweaty blues rock. There were big bands and smaller bands and no band, but throughout it was always Castanets music, always ol’ Ray Raposa and the various tricks in his magic bag. So when I tell you Texas Rose, The Thaw, and The Beasts is the most important thing the dude’s recorded I want you to take that as a sworn affidavit from someone who’s done a lot of watching and a lot of listening and a lot of thinking about what makes this music tick. I also want to say that this is the most accessible Castanets has gone – but also the most “out.” In my fantasy mind’s eye inner-brain-sitcom-thing I see people discovering Texas Rose for the first time and saying, like, “Yeah, totally. This.” with a happy nod of their head and possibly a triumphant much-love double-fist thump to the chest. I say that as a proud cousin or a friendly, stoked neighbor and I say that with the utmost respect and assuredness. Yeah, totally. This.

No hay comentarios.: