18.9.08

Talons - Songs For Babes (2008)


Link


This started out in Ravenna. I was living at my uncle’s out in the country (on rt 303), working out in the yard and going to Kent a few days a week. I was listening to brian straw a lot, and will oldham’s ‘joya’. Its all a joke at it’s root. A lot of it is actually very em-bare-assing to play, to record, to write. but that was the point too. I thought it would be funny to write songs that were specific to my life, to the way things are now, even though it would be awkward to play them for people (especially the people they’re about). I thought that maybe some honesty would come out of that. Maybe we all feel a little shitty, maybe we all like to laugh at ourselves, maybe someone’d feel a little better, maybe i would. I feel like too many songwriters are preoccupied with writing something timeless, or stylized -something that will last with all of the great songs written by like bob dylan or neil young or whomever, something dave matthews will cover someday. I dont want that at all. i want to write songs that will make no sense in five years. i want to write songs about my neighborhoods, my bad jobs, not about the abstract world as a whole, not about love as an abstract idea, not about bullshit. i want to write 20 second songs that lack a chorus or bridge or a ryhme. i want to write 5 second songs. i am a bad speller. i am not a very good friend. but i’m trying to get better. Mike Tolan (Talons)


No hay comentarios.: